Wednesday, January 9, 2013

GOLDEN BEET AND KALE RAW SALAD

I'll admit it--I spent waaay too much money buying little plastic containers full of this dank salad from Mississippi Market before I decided to just start making it myself. As the co-op staff refused my offer of my firstborn child in exchange for their recipe, I've had to approximate. This is really just a list of ingredients, not actually a recipe. Use your imagination and experiment.

Here We Go:

  • Curly leaf kale (the frilly stuff, not the long-leafed stuff)
  • Golden Beets (A quick word on this: whenever I make this salad myself, the golden beets turn a really unappealing grey-brown color, almost instantly. Oxidation, or a reaction to the metal cheese grater, perhaps? I would suggest grating and adding the beets right before serving if you're trying to present this dish to others, or using regular red beets instead.)
  • Carrots
  • Scallions
  • Green bell peppers
  • Broccoli sprouts
Dressing:
  • Tahini
  • Olive oil
  • apple cider vinegar (the good stuff, with 'the mother')
  • soy sauce (I use wheat-free tamari) or liquid aminos
  • Garlic, minced
  • Fresh oregano & basil, minced
Chop all your veggies. Cut the kale thin, shred beets and carrots (a round cheese grater with a crank works great for this), dice the peppers, and chop the scallions into little rings. Toss all the veggies together in a big bowl. In a separate container, combine the dressing ingredients w/ a wisk (start with tahini and vinegar, add other things when these are blended smoothly). I just add everything to taste and test it as I go along. I like my salad pretty saucy. I use the most tahini, then ACV, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment